Saturday, September 10, 2011

Drivers and Dancing

Aerial view of Iloilo Airport, taken April 2010. 2500m runway, passenger terminal, six-plane apron, control tower complex.

I don't understand why jeepney drivers have to do the following:

1. Shout at people standing by the road, with the assumption that everyone's a potential passenger.

2. Stop for every single person standing by the road.

3. Stop for a long time in areas with a (potential) crowd.

Because it's plain and simple: If a person is a potential passenger, he/she will personally call the driver's attention - wave an upper extremity and head towards the approaching vehicle. Plain and simple. If people want to get on a jeepney, they'd do it. Unless they're not paying attention, in which case getting hit by a jeepney might just be justifiable.

* * * * *

I have a classmate who calls everyone pare (buddy). How... annoying. I basically just avoid him. The problem is his chauvinistic language. Go shag a peacock.
 
* * * * *

Some friends are going gaga over joining frats and sororities. Oh boy...

* * * * *
 
Two-and-a-half years ago, I was all for Hairspray the film. Those pre-Sondheim, pre-Spring Awakening days. 
 
The last time I danced like a pro (because I was never a pro) was in high school. We did You Can't Stop the Beat (from the musical Hairspray) for the finale of "Harvest," the culminating activity of the 4th year English and Speech classes. We had group routines, plus all eleven boys from our class had to do partner dances as well. Fun times...

Now I'm dancing like I'm actually a member of some dance varsity. LadyMed's this Friday already, and all I can say is that I'm going to have one hell of an awesome talent number. I've been thrown, tossed, and lifted, and have shaken my hips, contorted my torso, and been on my feet like mad. It's gonna be explosive.

If we lose because some other class actually did better than us on Friday night, then congratulations to them. But if we lose because of the fundraising (whose grading system, to begin with, is totally flawed), then... that calls for a bloodbath. Oh hell yes.

But yes, I'm having a lot of fun. Thank you for the concern and the support.

No comments: