We saw Rise of the Guardians yesterday. If it wins over Wreck-It Ralph for Best Animated Feature in the Oscars next year, I won't be jumping up and down.
1. This film must be a headache to watch in 3D, what with the too-intricate gliding and flying sequences.
2. Jack Frost looks like some anime teenager, only fluent in English.
3. The scenery is marvelous. Shanghai, Moscow, Manhattan - you rarely see these places in animated films, much less portrayed as how they are in real life.
4. Worse things could have happened. Pitch could have raped the tooth fairy, who is such a flirt-in-denial.
5. We initially thought Jamie's pet dog is a goat.
6. Why is the Easter bunny so busy?! I'm pretty sure not all Christians go snooping around the neighborhood park for hidden eggs during Easter.
7. The message of this film is that American kids nowadays are so - have incredibly colorful imaginations, most of them believe in Santa Claus, the tooth fairy, sandman, and Easter bunny as much as they believe in the existence of the sun.
8. The ending is just plain terrible. Like, that was it?
Overall, this film is loads of fun, makes deliciously outstanding use of animation (the colors are just glorious, the attention to shape and form impeccable). But I'm still for Wreck-It Ralph.
The sandman channels Dumbledore in Half-Blood Prince.
* * * * *
... Still pissed off about Life of Pi being pushed back to January next year.
... We're finally done with endocrinology. The next two weeks (last two for the year) will be devoted to nephrology. Here comes urine.
... Did you hear? I finally got published in the Philippine Daily Inquirer. Oh happy days.
... Every time I hear Jose Mari Chan's Perfect Christmas, I feel like tearing up.
... Happy Bonifacio Day long weekend!