Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Screen Log 18: Incredibles 2; Ocean's 8; Hereditary; RuPaul's Drag Race Season 10; Atlanta Season 2

"Atlanta Season 2."

It's hard to believe it's been, like, more than a decade, almost 15 years, since "The Incredibles" was released. That was a great animated movie and a great superhero movie, back when superheroes weren't in vogue yet (I'm looking at you, Marvel). Do I think INCREDIBLES 2 was a good movie? Sure (though I thought the short that opens the film, "Bao," was even better). I do think it faltered when it devolved into a conventional superhero caper, but it shone best when it's turning everyday life on its heels, like the baby having all the powers, for instance, or the father having to stay at home, or Edna Mode (the best character!) agreeing to babysit the baby. Truth be told, I kind of don't remember a lot about it now, which must speak of the film's staying power. "Bao," however, I remember from beginning to end, the storytelling just plain lovely and heartrending.

There's a whole generation out there that's not even aware of the Ocean film franchise. Hence their clueless reaction to the Danny Ocean references, as I witnessed firsthand from my cousin last night, in OCEAN'S 8. I enjoyed this new movie. It has a lot of fun moments, most of them involving Anne Hathaway in one of her best roles so far (and also, she returns to the Met more than a decade after she snatched that trip to Paris from Emily Blunt). In fact, the cast is solid, from Rihanna to Sarah Paulson to James Corden. But the story is very, well, linear. Everything goes smoothly and as expected. They pull off the heist, get their shares, and go their own ways. It's middling writing and direction that just doesn't make the most of its incredible lineup of talent. It's a missed opportunity, is what it is.

I loved HEREDITARY. I loved it so much. That was just fiction at its finest. It's difficult not to compare it to the other great horror film of the year so far, "A Quiet Place," which I also liked, but not as much as this new movie. Imagine if Toni Collette and Emily Blunt both land Oscars and the slew of other accolades that come with it by year's end. Two female actresses in horror flicks. What a concept.

Thoughts on Season 10 of RUPAUL'S DRAG RACE, anyone? One, you could see Aquaria winning the whole thing from the start (I agree, she's one of the top ten runways ever). Two, um, Kameron Michaels, lipsync assassin? Really? Three, that Reunion episode though.

At the risk of sounding redundant and uncreative, Imma go ahead and call the second season of ATLANTA, subtitled "Robbin' Season," perfection. I know I also said this about its pilot season, so let me clarify: Season 2 is even better. Off the charts better. Like one of the few pieces of television (given the very few that I watch, to begin with) that left me immensely satisfied at the end of every episode. Season 2 of "Fargo," with Kirsten Dunst, was one. Seasons 2 and 3 of "The Leftovers" was basically 18 masterpiece episodes. In "Robbin' Season," every episode works like a wonderfully executed short story. I mean, "Teddy Perkins," for instance! Or Brian Tyree Henry's excursion to the woods in, well, "Woods." Or "Barbershop." Or that Drake party. Or the finale. Or Alligator Man. This season here is just TV deliciously, mesmerizingly delivered.  

No comments: