Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Liaisons and Wannabe


The view from where I spent Saturday night, courtesy of pharmaceutical company Pfizer. "It's like being in the villa of Madame Armfeldt," my brother would say. Not exactly great imagery - Angela Lansbury and her huge eyes would pop up before my mind's eye in an instant. 

*    *    *    *    *
 
The Southwest Monsoon had one hellish bout of dysmenorrhea two weeks ago. Three days of classes got cancelled. What's left of the last of three weeks of Cardio: the practical exams on Monday, then the 200-item gigantic exam on Friday. That was three entire days of lectures turned into self-study sessions. That, and struggling against the feeling of "There are homeless people out there, but you can't do anything about it because you have to study for this exam." Ah well, as the fellow-in-charge told us (through text message), "be mature, man up, and study." And if the entire section of cardiology had been offering eggs to Sta. Clara for the longest time, then by Jove, it worked.

*    *    *    *    *


I'm probably one of the very few who never went all giddy over the Olympics. I woke up one fine morning and didn't even know the Games had opened. It's only my aunt who kept score of China's medal tally, comparing it to the US every few days. I don't know if she cried in her sleep when Mother China finally fell to second place for good. 

The only part of this year's Olympics that I saw and felt passionate about was the closing ceremony performance of the Spice Girls. I was in kindergarten the year they first conquered the charts. As a kid, I knew the lyrics to Stop, 2 Become 1, Wannabe, Too Much, and Say You'll Be There by heart. That moment in the video when the announcer says, "It's the arrival of the Spice Girls!" actually gave me goosebumps, the years of wild abandon(?) finally coming back to me. (Now this sounds like a Jim Steinman song.)

P.S. Stop = best Spice Girls song of all time. Rant away now. Also, that up there's not the best video in YouTube, but blogger's acting up. 

*    *    *    *    *

Why did it take me such a long time to see Memento, Requiem for a Dream, Mysterious Skin, and The Squid and the Whale?!

No comments: