Thursday, December 19, 2013

Poetry News to Welcome Christmas

Never underestimate the power of wine, unless you have vague intentions of becoming the next Anne Curtis (of the John Lloyd-slapping kind) or just want to shake off four weeks of waking up at 5:30AM for the glory of vaginas and mothers in labor. Yesterday was our last day in OB-Gyne, and though I pretty much enjoyed the entire thing, it's not something I'd go looking for in my spare time. BUT, four of my poems have found home in three international publications!

1. "Twin Sorrows" will be in Stone Telling 10. It's a last minute submission, something I whipped up one arid May morning, which makes its acceptance even sweeter. Stone Telling is an online speculative poetry magazine; it's upcoming issue, coming out "soon," will be a double feature, or so I read. stonetelling.com

2. "The Flood" will be in Pedestal Magazine December 2013. Pedestal is also a webzine (online magazine) with an interest in genre writing (fantasy, horror, surrealism, etc.). The upcoming issue is its 13th anniversary issue, so hurrah! Plus, the fact that they accepted only 22 poems from literally over a thousand submissions, said the editor. thepedestalmagazine.com

3. "Shapes" and "Geography" will be in Sentinel Literary Quarterly February 2014. Sentinel is a UK-based quarterly that aims to be a "magazine of the world." The two poems were part of my collection, "His Final Attempt at Fiction," until, of course, it didn't win in a certain high-brow writing tilt and I decided to "un-collect" the thing. sentinelquarterly.com

By the way, have you seen "The Desolation of Smaug"? Four words: Lee Pace. Benedict Cumberbatch. That is, a deliciously effete elf-king and a very eloquent dragon brought to magnificent animated life. 

 Forgive me: I'm in a rather celebratory mood.

No comments: