Monday, June 20, 2011

The 30-Day Musical Theater Song Challenge, Part 6

I came across this challenge on Facebook and thought I'd give it a try. By now, it should be no secret that I'm an avid fan of musical theater, which is not the case for many people in this country (and it's easy to understand why). If you're a Broadway junkie like myself, then my 'repertoire' is yours to sample. Otherwise, you're in for some 'new' music to... add to your playlist, perhaps?

Note: The instructions say to post this on your 'Wall', one song per day, but since we're in Blogger, I'm having it my way.

A song from the musical with the best music.


"ALL I ASK OF YOU" from The Phantom of the Opera
a concert cover by Brad Little and Joanna Ampil

When it comes to Andrew Lloyd Webber, there are only two ways a musical theater lover may go: You either love his music or abhor it with your life. For the longest-running Broadway show, at least, I'm a fan. Phantom, after all, is the very first musical recording that I listened to and actually got... 'addicted' to. It was the summer before high school, and our living room was constantly filled with Gerard Butler and Emmy Rossum's voices (which at that time were quite perfect for me already). Half a decade and many Phantom covers later, I'm still no fan of Michael Crawford.

The category here is best music, and it dawned on me when I was still choosing an answer that I actually like every song there is in Phantom. Of course, there are other musicals that I'd easily give this category to, but for the sheer beauty of the music, ALW wins. I couldn't find a good enough cover for The Point of No Return, which is my most favorite song from the musical, so I had to settle with this one instead. Joanna Ampil for Christine in a Manila engagement ala Cats, anyone? 

*     *     *     *     *

A song from the musical with the best lyrics.


"I WISH I COULD GO BACK TO COLLEGE" from Avenue Q
by the Original Broadway Cast

Yes, friends, Avenue Q again for this one. Why? It's ridiculously funny, it's witty, and it's very sincere all at the same time. It's an ingenious juxtaposition of R-rated hilarity and in-your-face facts of life, a comedy or dramedy or I-don't-know-how-to-categorize-it with a really huge heart and a very human soul. At least once, every urbanite with the money must see the show, and so should college students and fresh college graduates, and the married couples as well.

Right now, I'd rename this song "I Wish I Could Go Back to PreMed" and somehow, it'd fit.

2 comments:

Crystal said...

haha, i agree with you. still not a fan of michael crawford, either. gawd, i really dislike the movie version haha. so glad you like point of no return. it's a really beautiful song.

VINCEN GREGORY YU said...

I don't know, he always sounds like he's sort of trying to draw curves and circles with his voice (if that even makes sense). Haha. And yeah, that song just spells sexy all over. =D