Sunday, August 28, 2016

My Best Films of the 21st Century

Inspired by this list from BBC-Culture, of course. A bit embarrassing, really, to admit I've only seen 57 out of the hundred. (Is that Septa Unella reaching for her bell I hear?) My list--oh yes, I have a list--says I've seen 889 of this new century's films. I can up that to a thousand before I start residency, I think, but we'll see. In the meantime, this should suffice:


1. The Social Network (2010; David Fincher)
2. Boyhood (2014; Richard Linklater)
3. Children of Men (2006; Alfonso Cuarón)
4. Closer (2004; Mike Nichols)
5. Mean Girls (2004; Mark Waters)
6. A Separation (2011; Asghar Farhadi)
7. Norte, The End of History (2013; Lav Diaz)
8. Pan's Labyrinth (2006; Guillermo del Toro)
9. Certified Copy (2010; Abbas Kiarostami)
10. Summer Hours (2008; Olivier Assayas)
11. Doubt (2008; John Patrick Shanley)
12. Spotlight (2015; Tom McCarthy)
13. Inside Llewyn Davis (2013; Joel and Ethan Coen)
14. Sideways (2004; Alexander Payne)

A few notes:

1. Aside from "Closer" and "Doubt," two other fine adaptations of a play: the 2004 HBO miniseries "Angels in America," also directed by Nichols; and Nicholas Hytner's "The History Boys," starring most of the original London cast.

2. "Inside Llewyn Davis" is my best musical film of the 21st century. "Chicago" and "Moulin Rouge!" can go tango with each other on a cliff.

3. "Mean Girls" is a no-brainer. It's, like, a cultural phenomenon. Duh.

4. As Richard Bolisay said in Twitter, "Spotlight" may just be the most important Oscars Best Picture win in a long time.

5. Why fourteen? The number sounded good for the moment. Could expand the list to include "Gosford Park," "The Lord of the Rings: Two Towers," "Midnight in Paris," "The Wolf of Wall Street," "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon," etc., etc.

Finally, my seven essential performances of the 21st century:

No comments: