Friday, June 12, 2015

Independence Day, Flying Day


The little that's left of this "vacation" is in full swing.

I just came back from El Nido, where I had the most glorious time sunbathing like a Caucasian and successfully getting darker, gawking at huge-ass limestone islets and formations, squeezing into crevices just to get to secluded lagoons and caverns, walking under the stars while wrapped in the quiet darkness of those island nights. Took lots of photos and bought nothing home, just the way I like it. And I also had the best seafood pasta in this country. I still have to work through the photos, and will put up a separate post or two for this in a few days. 

My review of Idina Menzel's concert at the SM Mall of Asia Arena last Sunday will be in tomorrow's Inquirer, so do check it out. I daresay her fame in this country is more because of a cult of personality of sorts (original Elphaba, Elsa, Lea Michele's mother in Glee), and not because people actually think she has the best voice in town. But she delivered, nonetheless, and that's enough, I think, to make the cult even bigger. 

The future in terms of theatergoing looks scary. The Virgin Labfest (sometimes I ask myself why on earth did I even think of volunteering to cover a production, and then a split second later realize that hey, that's love), The Normal Heart, Bituing Walang Ningning, Rak of Aegis (these last two with mother), etc. My writing is kind of rusty. Shit.

I'm currently reading Donna Tartt's The Secret History. Six hyper-intellectual people, a college town, a murder, and most of all, pure elegant writing. What's not to love?

Finally, I still can't fully wrap my head around the fact that clerkship--all forty weeks of it--is finally over. Ahead, internship looms. 

See you in the morning, Iloilo!

No comments: