Wednesday, May 28, 2014

The Extended Summer, Week 6 1/2

Proof that I'm still alive despite my self-imposed exile, which is just a more dramatic way of saying I'm stuck in Iloilo 'til classes resume in August, which means I'll surely be missing Priscilla Queen of the Desert and the entire Virgin Labfest, and most likely be missing Venus in Fur, BlueRep's Spelling Bee, that new show Dani Girl by that new theater company The Sandbox Collective, and TP's Kleptomaniacs. The plus side is that come mid-July, I'll be flying my first B777.

Proof that I'm still alive. Because I'm pretty sure somewhere deep inside my mother's heart is a tiny, tiny spot for her unspoken unhappiness about my not taking summer elective here in Iloilo and my decision to have a regular elective (in December). But relax, there is no drama in real life, so sorry for dashing your fantasies.

Proof that I'm still alive - but wait, my Twitter account is bursting with life, which renders that first clause moot. (And here I shall insert a link to my Twitter account: twitter.com/vincengyu). I have to say this: So many misogynist, entitled idiots in America. (See Twitter.)

"Pokpok po ba ang peg niyo sa'kin, sir?" -Kim Chiu to Xian Lim in Bakit Hindi Ka Crush ng Crush Mo? The breakout star of Pinoy Big Brother has these horrendous fake eyebrows, and my mother's loving every strand of 'em.

I deserve an award for "Driver of the Month." I can drive the family van now! It's like driving one of the Flintstones' vehicles, only it's not made of stone.

"Did you like what you saw?" -Xian Lim. Peste, go back to grade school!

Binge-watching Modern Family is my idea of starting the day. Some episodes - alright, many episodes - don't make a lot of sense, but it's all still a ball.

The resident alpha dog, Disney the pitbull, will stop at nothing to kill our askal. Murder attempts every week, Disney's dick looks shriveled now, Arya the pitbull bitch is pregnant, and everyone in this house is just waiting for the askal to drop dead.

I can't believe Out of Africa won Best Picture in 1986. It looks like a National Geographic feature with Meryl Streep in it (woman's marvelous, as always). And also Robert Redford at his most charmless.

Days of Future Past is the best X-Men movie ever made. (See next post.) 

We saw Maleficent this afternoon. It is unintentionally funny. It looks like the camera found its way to a botanical garden and refused to leave; sometimes, I had trouble distinguishing the plants from the weird animal-people. But Angelina Jolie is great, Elle Fanning is very pretty, and Imelda Staunton is embarrassingly underused. 

No comments: